Spain, La Rioja – Sample the Region
Download a PDF Brochure
Travel Type: Food and Wine, Private Touring
Location: La Rioja, Spain
From AUD: $3,949
Duration: 5 Days
Offer Expires: Dec 31, 2020
Stay five days in Spain's most famous of wine regions, on this private package. There's not only a strong focus on wine here, but also on food, particularly in this package. Of course you will visit leading wineries, but you will also dine in Michelin starred venues, leading regional restaurants and local gems. Picnic in vineyards, visit famous monuments and the Museum of Wine Culture while you get to know the rich environment that is La Rioja.
Amble (eat!) your way through la Rioja's rugged countryside. Visit ancient wine-producing villages, learn how to make Pintxos (the Basque region's version of tapas), dine at Arrea! and Ikaro restaurants, as well as other highly regarding local establishments, visit Dinastía Vivanco Museum (Museum of Wine Culture), take a picnic on the Ebro River and cycle through the vineyards on this diverse yet all-encompassing private package. Throughout your stay, you will be based in one location at a four star property in rural setting. A private car and driver/host will accompany you each day ensuring your visit to La Rioja is one of rich experiences and ultimately great memories.
Featured restaurants include Amelibia Restaurant, Arrea!, Casa Curro, Ikaro or Tondeluna Restaurant, Estación Restaurant and Prao de la Paul Lagoon
A great showcase of Basque cuisine.
- Pick up at Logroño train station, then you'll be taken for lunch at Amelibia Restaurant in Laguardia, a cosy family restaurant with a focus on traditional food using fresh local products.
- Visit to Laguardia one of the most beautiful towns of Spain.
- For dinner we will teach you how to make delicious pintxos using local and seasonal products, which will be paired with Rioja wines.
- Ascent to Mount Yoar, located on the border of Alava and Navarra. This is the highest peak of the Sierra de Códes at 1417 metres, from which you can see the entire riverside and middle area of Navarra as well as the Rioja and Álava.
- Lunch at Arrea! Restaurant in Santacruz de Campezo, the new gastronomic concept in the heart of the Alavesa Mountain where Edorta Lamo practices a gastronomy of its own style, locally and autochthonous.
- After lunch you will visit the Artzai Gazta cheese factory belonging to the D.O. Idiazabal in which Latxa sheep-cheese processors control the entire production process, from the management of the herd, the cheese making and its market placement.
- Dinner at Casa Curro in Lapuebla de Labarca
- Traditional breakfast consisting of bread with olive oil, garlic, salt and sugar accompanied by a glass of white wine or coffee; followed by a visit to the “trujal” (olive oil cellar) and centenary olive grove, with olive oil tasting paired with seasonal local products and wine.
- Visit to Logroño and lunch at Ikaro or Tondeluna Restaurant (depending on availability), both Michelin Star owners
- Visit to Dinastía Vivanco Museum.
- Dinner at “Tercera Estación” restaurant in San Vicente de la Sonsierra.
- Visit to El Dolmen de la Hechicera, one of the most important in the Basque Country due to its size and excellent state of preservation. It is an ancient archeological stone structure which was most likely a funerary.
- Visit an avant-garde winery where you will taste their wines and then start a kayak trip down the Ebro River, where we will have everything ready for you to enjoy a picnic.
- Our guide will pick you up to the accommodation and give you free time for your enjoyment.
- Dinner (traditional fare of the region) will be held in the accommodation.
- With the bicycle as a companion and binoculars in the backpack, we invite you to visit some of the most beautiful villages of Rioja Alavesa. Cycle a simple wine and gastronomy tour among vineyards, with an ornithological touch, enabling you to come to know the region and how it is intimately linked to the wine. Enjoy the colors of the season, visit ancient towns with imposing houses, fortresses and wineries where the culture today, and for many years past floods an idyllic landscape. Learn of the region's flora and fauna at the Complex Lagunar de (Lagoon) Laguardia, where you will enjoy a brunch enjoying a splendid day in nature.
- Add an extra night and stay longer or continue your onward journey from Logrono station, where you will be delivered in the afternoon.
Four nights four star accommodation in a rural-setting
Breakfast daily (one in traditional style on day three)
Private vehicle and driver throughout your stay
Arrival meeting at train station
Lunch at Amelibia Restaurant
Pintxo cooking class
Tour to Mount Yoar
Lunch at Arrea!
Cheese factory visit
Dinner at Casa Curro
Lunch at Ikaro or Tondeluna Restaurant
Visit to Dinastía Vivanco Museum
Dinner at Tercera Estación Restaurant
Winery tasting, river kayaking and waterside picnic lunch
Vineyard cycling with electric bike, two glasses of wine in two different wineries on the route
Brunch in Prao de la Paul Lagoon
Departure transfer to train station
This package is available all year round, on a date to fit in with your existing travel plans. Just let us know what suits and we will check everything is available.
$3949 per person based on twin share
The price reduces if more couples join
Single supplement and triple share prices upon request
This package is also available in a three night version. Please ask us for details.